Ecology proposes to update Chapter 173-443 WAC (Hydrofluorocarbons) and Chapter 173-455 WAC, Air Quality Fee Rule.
Comment on draft rule language to help us write the proposed rules. An informal public comment period occurs during rulemaking before we propose a rule (file the CR-102 form). During an informal public comment period, we use comments to help us write the proposed rules. We will hold a formal public comment period early summer 2023 when we propose the rules.
This rulemaking may:
- Establish maximum global warming potential (GWP) thresholds for hydrofluorocarbons used in new stationary refrigeration and air conditioning equipment.
- Establish a refrigerant management program with registration, leak detection, and reporting requirements for certain stationary refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
- Amend product labeling and disclosure requirements.
- Establish fees to support the refrigerant management program.
- Update Chapter 173-443 WAC to reflect other changes in the law.
We write rules to implement and enforce state and federal environmental laws and rules. Ecology follows a three-phase process for rulemaking:
- Announcement and development
For each phase of the process, we update the rulemaking web page and notify interested parties. We also file notice in the Washington State Register. To learn more about Ecology’s rulemaking process, read the Frequently Asked Questions.