We are starting rulemaking for Chapter 173-446 WAC, Climate Commitment Act Program.
Comment on the draft rule to help us write the proposed rule. An informal public comment period occurs during rulemaking before we propose a rule (file the CR-102 form). During an informal public comment period, we use comments to help us write the proposed rule. We will hold a formal public comment period in Spring 2022 when we propose the rule.
This rulemaking will establish a structure for the cap-and-invest program that may include, but is not limited to:
- Program registration requirements
- Methods and procedures for allocating allowances
- Allowance budgets for the first compliance period (2023-2026)
- Auction registration requirements
- Auction floor price
- Emissions containment reserve
- Procedures and protocols for establishing offset projects
- Enforcement provisions
- Transfer and sale of allowances and recognition of compliance instruments
- Other elements to support the operation and function of the cap-and-invest program
We write rules to implement and enforce state and federal environmental laws and rules. Ecology follows a 3-phase process for rulemaking:
- Announcement and development
For each phase of the process, we update the rulemaking web page and notify interested parties. We also file notice in the Washington State Register. To learn more about Ecology’s rulemaking process, read the Frequently Asked Questions.