Ecology is holding a public hearing about the rulemaking for Climate Commitment Act Program, Chapter 173-446 WAC.
The Climate Commitment Act requires Ecology to adopt rules to implement the cap-and-invest program to achieve Washington's goal of net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
This rulemaking establishes a structure for the cap-and-invest program including, but not limited to:
- Program coverage, registration, and account requirements
- Methods and procedures for allocating allowances
- Allowance budgets for the first compliance period (2023–2026) and distribution of allowances
- Auction registration requirements
- Auction floor price
- Auction floor and ceiling prices, and Tier I and Tier II prices for allowance price containment reserve auctions
- Emissions containment reserve
- Procedures and protocols for offset projects
- Enforcement provisions
- Transfer and sale of allowances and recognition of compliance instruments
- Other elements to support the operation and function of the cap-and-invest program
Online public hearing (webinar)
- Register for the webinar to get your meeting ID and passcode.
- To hear the webinar better or to call in only, use your phone (instead of the computer) to call 253-215-8782.
- Question-and-answer session
- Public hearing
We write rules to implement and enforce state and federal environmental laws and rules. Ecology follows a 3-phase process for rulemaking:
- Announcement and development
For each phase of the process, we update the rulemaking web page and notify interested parties. We also file notice in the Washington State Register. To learn more about Ecology’s rulemaking process, read the Frequently Asked Questions.