We want to hear what you think about linking Washington's carbon market to other carbon markets.
We'll use your feedback to help us analyze the linkage criteria laid out in the Climate Commitment Act and decide whether to pursue linking with California and Québec. We will make a decision for Washington in Summer 2023 or later.
Free interpretation services will be available on request. Contact Stephanie Potts at 425‑466‑5358 to ask for interpretation. Please submit interpretation requests at least two weeks before the meeting, so we can arrange for interpretation services. If we are not able to provide an interpreter at the meeting, we will find another way to answer your questions and take your comments.
- Washington's cap-and-invest program
- Your thoughts about:
- The potential effects of linkage
- The criteria we will consider when deciding whether to link carbon markets
- Whether we should link carbon markets
- Questions and answers
You can register for this listening session, and find information about our other scheduled sessions, at the bottom of this page. We ask that you please register for only one session so that we can better ensure all voices are heard.
Information about cap-and-invest linkage
Washington's cap-and invest program is the second of its kind in the United States. The first U.S. program began in California in 2013. At the same time, a similar program started in Québec, Canada. California and Québec connected their programs in 2014, creating one shared carbon market. The Climate Commitment Act directs our agency to:
- Actively consider linking Washington's cap-and-invest program with other carbon markets.
- Build the cap-and-invest program so linking would be as seamless as possible.
- Review specific criteria to ensure linkage would benefit our state’s communities, economy, and climate goals.
California and Québec would need to go through their own processes to decide whether to link to Washington's market. After that, all three programs may need to revise some regulations, so finalizing linkage would not happen until 2025 or later.