We're holding a 45-day public comment period addressing proposed modifications to the Hanford Dangerous Waste Permit.
The permittees are the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of River Protection, U.S. Department of Energy, Richland Operations, Bechtel National, Inc., Mission Support Alliance, Washington River Protection Services, LLC, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, and CH2M Hill Plateau Remediation. The Hanford Site is located in Southeastern Washington.
Review and comment
The modification proposal and supporting documents are on our Hanford public comment periods page.
This permit modification includes the following documents for public comment.
- Revised Part I and II Permit Conditions
- Changes to the Hanford Emergency Management Plan (DOE/RL-94-02, Rev 7 Draft)
- New Attachment 4A to the Hanford Site Wide Permit (Qualified Building Emergency Directors and Building Wardens)
- Updates to Attachment 9 – Applicability Matrix
- New Building Emergency Plans (BEP) and Facility Emergency Plan (FRP) for the following facilities:
- Liquid Effluent Retention Facility and 200 Area Treatment Facility
- 242-A Evaporator
- 325 Hazardous Waste Treatment Units
- 400 Area Waste Management Unit
- PUREX Storage Tunnels
The Building Emergency Plan for the Waste Treatment Plant (WTP) is not included in this public comment period because it was previously submitted for public comment during the WTP Low-Activity Waste and Effluent Management Facilities Class 3 public comment period that ran from July 1 to Aug. 30, 2019.
The Integrated Disposal Facility's (IDF) Building Emergency Plan is not included in this public comment period because it is currently out for public comment to support the IDF Operations Class 3 Permit Modification, which is open for public comment Dec. 16, 2019, to Feb. 14, 2020.
For more information, see our Nuclear Waste Program public comment page