We invite your comment about removing the restrictive covenant from this site.
A restrictive covenant (also called an environmental covenant) limits the type of land use to protect human health and the environment when contamination remains at the site.
Starting in 1926, this site was used to store and distribute petroleum products. There were five above-ground storage tanks, associated delivery lines, and dispenser pumps. In 1992, the operation closed and all the structures were removed from the property.
In 1992, gasoline- and diesel-range petroleum hydrocarbons, benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylenes (BTEX) were found in soil and groundwater at the site. To clean up the contamination, all the contaminated soil was removed and the groundwater was treated.
A restrictive covenant was filed in 2002. By 2014, monitoring showed contamination in groundwater was consistently below cleanup levels for at least a year. In 2015, Ecology issued a No Further Action letter. In 2020 the owner requested Ecology remove the covenant from the property because it is no longer needed.
If no new information is submitted during the comment period, we will remove the restrictive covenant from the Unocal Bulk Plant 0885 site.