Event detail icon
Comment Period

Tribal enhancement and federal research net pens

401 Water Quality Certifications

Feb. 22, 2021 - March 15, 2021, 11:59 p.m.

We are looking for feedback on which water quality conditions we should consider to ensure EPA’s final permits meet Washington’s water quality standards.

We're accepting public comment on certification conditions for the following U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) draft NPDES permit: General Permit for Tribal Enhancement and Federal Research Marine Net Pen Facilities within Puget SoundPlease read the public notice and application for more information.

The EPA is holding a public comment period on the proposed permits until March 26, 2021. All comments on the contents of the draft permits should be submitted to EPA.

We review federal projects and permits that expect to release (discharge) water into streams, lakes, wetlands, and other water bodies that are defined as waters of the United States under federal law in Washington state.

Our water quality standards are often stricter than federal standards to protect aquatic species that make the state's waterways home, such as salmon and orca. The Clean Water Act gives us the authority to make sure that federal permits and licenses meet state standards.

We work with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) NPDES permit process to address water pollution from federal and tribal facilities into surface waters such as rivers, lakes, and streams. See our 401 certfications of federal NPDES permits webpage for more information.

Comment online icon

Comment online

Comment by mail icon

Comment by mail

Angela Zeigenfuse
Ecology - Water Quality Program
PO BOX 47600
Olympia , WA 98504
Questions icon


Angela Zeigenfuse
401 Certification Coordinator

To request ADA accommodation, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at ecyadacoordinator@ecy.wa.gov, or call 360-407-6831, 711 (relay service), or 877-833-6341 (TTY). More about our accessibility services.