On Jan. 28, 2019, Ecology adopted amendments to Chapter 173-303 WAC, Dangerous Waste Regulations. These regulations set standards for the safe management of dangerous wastes. Ecology amended specific sections of the dangerous waste regulations to incorporate new federal hazardous waste rules. We restructured the regulations for easier use and improved compliance, similar to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) changes. These changes to the dangerous waste regulations affect most dangerous waste generators and how they manage their dangerous waste.
The rule changes also provide generator flexibility in managing wastes in a more cost-effective and protective manner. Amendments include several state-initiated technical changes and editorial corrections, clarifications and other changes.
EPA rules include:
State-initiated changes include, but are not limited to:
- Conditional Exclusions for Solvent-Contaminated Wipes
- Revisions to the Definition of Solid Waste
- Revisions to the Export Provisions of the Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Rule
- Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule
- Hazardous Waste Export-Import Revisions
- Hazardous Waste Electronic Manifest Rule
- Changes to the PCB waste exclusion reducing duplicative regulation of state-only PCB wastes also regulated under the Toxic Substances Control Act 40 CFR Part 760.
- Above-ground signage requirements for underground dangerous waste tanks.
See the proposed language for more details on all changes.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
Feb. 21, 2017
Rule development phase
for second CR-101 February 21, 2017 - July 2018
Public input & involvement
In 2016, Ecology developed draft rule language and asked for public feedback. An informational webinar was held November 2016-view it on YouTube
In 2017, Ecology held two public meetings and a webinar to explain the changes and hear from you. Ecology accepted informal comments on the preliminary draft rule in fall 2017. View comments
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at email@example.com, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.