Children's Safe Products Reporting Rule
ADDITIONAL RULE INFORMATION
Ecology initiated a rulemaking update to the Children’s Safe Products Reporting Rule (CSPA Reporting Rule) on August 9th, 2016. The proposed rulemaking update was published on March 22, 2017. Ecology held a public hearing on the proposed rulemaking on April 25, 2017. The public comment period for the proposed rule ended on May 12, 2017. Comments on this rule proposal can be reviewed online. Ecology adopted the update to the Children’s Safe Products Reporting Rule on September 29, 2017.
Ecology and Health completed an evaluation of chemicals proposed for addition to or delisting from the list of chemicals of high concern to children (CHCCs) during the preliminary draft CSPA Reporting rulemaking. Review the Ecology publication Children's Safe Products Reporting Rule: Chemicals of High Concern to Children Proposed for Addition or Delisting during the 2017 Rule Update, 17-04-021. It contains evaluations for 22 chemicals added to the CHCC list and 3 chemicals removed from the CHCC list.
Preliminary draft rule involvement
Ecology received stakeholder comments on several preliminary drafts of the CSPA Reporting Rule language and identification of chemicals to add or delist from the CHCC list. Written comments received from August 2016 to January 2017 are provided below.
- Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association comments on Section 100
- Toxic Free Future comments on DPP
- Toxic Free Future comments on D4
- American Chemistry Council, discussion of flame retardants on Sept 8—response from Albemarle Corporation, November 14, 2016
- Personal Care Products Council, discussion of parabens on Oct 12—response from Personal Care Products Council, November 14, 2016
- American Chemistry Council, discussion of PFAS on Oct 31—response from FluoroCouncil, November 15, 2016
- Toxic Free Future, discussion of phthalates on Nov 3 (no written comments)
- American Chemistry Council, Silicones Environmental Health and Safety Center, discussion of D4 on Nov 14— ACC Presentation
- Washington Toxics Coalition, August 5, 2016
- International Molybdenum Association, September 9, 2016
- American Chemistry Council—Phthalic Anhydride, September 15, 2016 (and supporting data)
- American Chemistry Council - Formaldehyde, September 16, 2016
- American Chemistry Council - D4, September 16, 2016
- Personal Care Products Council, September 16, 2016
- Washington Toxics Coalition, September 6, 2013 (comments during the 2013 CSPA rulemaking)
- Toxic-Free Legacy Coalition, September 21,2016
- Materion, October 7, 2016 (rule comments July 8, 2010 and August 16,2010)
- Toxic-Free Future, October 12, 2016 and October 14, 2016
- Spokane River Regional Toxics Task Force, October 25, 2016 (and supporting study)
Washington Department of Ecology
Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction Program
PO Box 47600
Olympia WA 98504-7600
For special accommodations or documents in an alternative format, call 360-407-6700, 711 (relay service), or 877-833-6341 (TTY).
Also see Ecology’s ADA Accessibility page