Ecology plans to update Chapter 173-182 WAC, Oil Spill Contingency Plan rule. The rule requires large commercial vessels, oil handling facilities and pipelines to have detailed contingency plans and contracts for appropriate equipment and trained personnel to respond to spills that may occur. This rulemaking will:
- Establish requirements for review and approval of Spill Management Teams including entities providing wildlife rehabilitation and recovery services.
- Enhance requirements for readiness for spills of oils that, depending on their chemical properties, environmental factors (weathering), and method of discharge, may submerge or sink.
- Update drill requirements to reflect legislative direction.
- Update planning standards to align vessel and facility requirements and ensure best achievable protection is maintained in contingency plans.
- Enhance planning standards for oiled wildlife response.
- Make other edits to address inconsistent or unclear direction in the rule, or other administrative edits.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
Jan. 2, 2019
Rule development phase
Jan. 2, 2019 – Aug. 7, 2019
Rule proposal phase (CR-102)
Aug. 7, 2019
Rule proposal documents:
Comments are due Oct. 6, 2019.
Submit comments online
Submit comments in writing
Sonja Larson, Rulemaking Lead
Department of Ecology, Spills Program
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Submit comments at a public hearing
Attend a public hearing to see a presentation about the rulemaking, ask questions, and submit a formal testimony.
Sept. 17, 2019 — 1 p.m.
Courtyard Seattle-Everett Downtown
3003 Colby Avenue
Everett, WA 98201
Sept. 19, 2019 — 1 p.m.
Ramada by Wyndham Spokane Airport
8909 West Airport Drive
Spokane, WA 99224
Sept. 24, 2019 — 1 p.m.
Hilton Vancouver Washington
301 W. 6th Street
Vancouver, WA 98660
Join online from your computer, tablet or smartphone:
Join by phone:
Access code 424 089 589.
Please note: Comments will not be accepted through the chat box by persons viewing the webinar.
Assistance for disabilities
Contact Ecology’s ADA Coordinator by Sept. 12, 2019
TTY: People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at email@example.com, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.