Ecology plans to amend Chapter 173-186 WAC, Oil Spill Contingency Plan – Railroad. This chapter requires railroads carrying oil as cargo to plan for oil spills to include how to make notifications, have the appropriate equipment and trained personnel to respond to spills that may occur. This rulemaking will:
- Establish three tiers for railroad contingency planning and streamline requirements according to RCW 90.56.210.
- Establish requirements for citing Spill Management Teams including entities providing wildlife rehabilitation and recovery services.
- Enhance requirements for readiness for spills of oils that may weather and sink.
- Update drill requirements to reflect legislative direction.
- Make other edits to address inconsistent or unclear direction in the rule.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
Dec. 5, 2018, 12 a.m.
Rule development phase
Dec. 5, 2018 – June 5, 2019
Rule proposal phase (CR-102)
June 5, 2019
Rule proposal documents:
Comments are due July 22, 2019.
Submit comments in writing
Nhi Irwin, Rulemaking Lead
Department of Ecology, Spills Program
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Submit comments in person
Attend a public hearing to see a presentation about the rulemaking, ask questions, and submit a formal testimony.
July 9, 2019 — 1 p.m.
Ramada by Wyndham Spokane Airport Hotel
8909 Airport Drive
Spokane, WA 99224
July 10, 2019 — 6 p.m.
Webinar (online meeting):
Join online meeting from computer, tablet, or smartphone with internet connection.
Dial in by phone: +1 (646) 749-3122, Access Code: 123-020-765
July 11, 2019 — 1 p.m.
Hilton Seattle Airport & Conference Center
17620 International Blvd.
Seattle, WA 98188
Assistance for disabilities
Contact Ecology’s ADA Coordinator by July 5, 2019
TTY: People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at email@example.com, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.