Ecology plans to amend Chapter 173-186 WAC, Oil Spill Contingency Plan – Railroad. This chapter requires railroads carrying oil as cargo to plan for oil spills to include how to make notifications, have the appropriate equipment and trained personnel to respond to spills that may occur. This rulemaking will:
- Establish three tiers for railroad contingency planning and streamline requirements according to RCW 90.56.210.
- Establish requirements for citing Spill Management Teams including entities providing wildlife rehabilitation and recovery services.
- Enhance requirements for readiness for spills of oils that may weather and sink.
- Update drill requirements to reflect legislative direction.
- Make other edits to address inconsistent or unclear direction in the rule.
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, call Sultana Shah at 360-407-6831 or email
firstname.lastname@example.org. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.