The Department of Ecology is proposing to amend Chapter 173-303 WAC, Dangerous Waste Regulations. These regulations set standards for the safe management of dangerous wastes. Ecology plans to amend specific sections of the dangerous waste regulations to incorporate new federal hazardous waste rules. We propose to restructure the regulations for easier use and improved compliance. The proposed changes in the dangerous waste regulations will affect most dangerous waste generators. These changes may affect how generators manage their dangerous waste, adding regulations for solvent-contaminated wipes, recycling of dangerous waste, electronic manifests and dangerous waste import and export. Other amendments include several minor state-initiated technical changes, editorial corrections, and clarifications.
EPA rules include:
State-initiated changes include, but are not limited to:
- Conditional Exclusions for Solvent-Contaminated Wipes
- Definition of Solid Waste: Revisions to Solid Waste Variances and to the Definition of Legitimacy
- Revisions to the Export Provisions of the Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Rule
- Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule
- Hazardous Waste Export-Import Revisions
- Hazardous Waste Electronic Manifest Rule
- Changes to the PCB waste exclusion reducing duplicative regulation of state-only PCB wastes also regulated under the Toxic Substances Control Act 40 CFR Part 760.
- Above-ground signage requirements for underground dangerous waste tanks.
See the proposed language for more details on all changes.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
Feb. 21, 2017
Rule development phase
February 21, 2017 - July 2018
Public input & involvement
In 2016, Ecology developed draft rule language and asked for public feedback. An informational webinar was held November 2016-view it on YouTube
In 2017, Ecology held two public meetings and a webinar to explain the changes and hear from you. Ecology accepted informal comments on the preliminary draft rule in fall 2017. View comments
Rule proposal phase (CR-102)
Aug. 9, 2018
Rule proposal documents:
August 9, 2018 - October 5, 2018
Comments are being accepted on the:
- Proposed dangerous waste rule amendments
- SEPA determination
- Preliminary regulatory analyses
Please submit comments:
- Through our online comment system (preferred)
- By U.S. mail or parcel delivery service attention: Robert Rieck
- PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600 (US mail)
- 300 Desmond Dr. SE, Lacey, WA 98503 (parcel delivery services)
- At a public hearing (see below)
Note if you are commenting on the rule amendments, SEPA or the regulatory analyses.
will be held on two separate days:
First Hearing is September 26, 2018
The hearing starts at 1:00 PM - Available as a webinar only. A webinar is an online meeting forum that you can attend from any computer using internet access. To join the webinar, click on the following link for more information and instructions: https://watech.webex.com/watech/onstage/g.php?MTID=e464688ca558538c344ce4f32b28d72b7
Event Number: 802 585 936
Event Password: Ecology1
For audio only, call US toll number 1-650-479-3208 or toll free 1-877-668-4493 and enter access code 802 585 936. Or to receive a free call back, provide your phone number when you join the event.
Second Hearing is on September 28, 2018
The hearing starts at 10:00 AM. You may attend in person at either of the following two locations. The Spokane location will be connected to the Bellevue hearing location by video conference.
- Ecology Northwest Regional Office, 3190 160th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98009
- Ecology Eastern Regional Office, 4601 N Monroe St, Spokane, WA 99205
Please request by September 21, 2018. See contact information under the Accessibility heading below.
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, call Hanna Waterstrat at 360-407-7668 or email
firstname.lastname@example.org. Persons with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
Persons with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.