State and local governments want to learn and share updated methods to detect, identify, and trace pollutants in stormwater to the sources within the drainage area. Local governments will coordinate to share experiences, knowledge gaps, and techniques used to screen for pollutants in the field.
This project collected new and useful techniques from local governments and other experts in order to update the Illicit Connection and Illicit Discharge (IC/ID) Field Screening and Source Tracing Guidance Manual (King County, 2013). Eight trainings in Western Washington were held virtually to share the findings and new techniques with municipal staff.
- Do municipal staff and other stakeholders need or want updated guidance, methods, or trainings on source control efforts?
- Are techniques already available for the most common sources identified in the SAM IDDE data compilation?
Scope of work
This project hosted two feedback workshops and an online survey to gather new techniques and identify gaps in knowledge on how to conduct field screening and trace sources. The outcome was to update the guidance manual, hold eight trainings across Western Washington on new techniques, and create new videos for staff trainings.
Project tasks and deliverables
1. Project management and semi-annual reports
2. Host two feedback workshops, conduct online survey, and literature review. Update the IC/ID manual.
- Feb. 25, 2019, Snohomish Co. Drewel Bldg, 3000 Rockefeller Ave, Everett
- March 4, 2019, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at King County, 201 S. Jackson St., Seattle
3. Host eight trainings on updated IC/ID manual and techniques
- Deliverable 8 Training Flyer and distribution list: King County will host eight free online training opportunities on the updated ICID Manual from September - November 2020.
- Deliverable 9 List of completed training dates, agendas, presentations, receipts, attendance, and field trips.
4. Presentations, videos, and fact sheet
- Deliverable 10 Draft fact sheet
- Deliverable 11 Final fact sheet
- Deliverable 12 Presentation to SWG on November 18, 2020
- Deliverable 13 IC/ID Videos posted to Washington Stormwater Center ICID Website
- 2020 IC/ID manual
- Up to six short new or updated technique videos