On Sept. 10, 2019, we approved the City of Blaine's Shoreline Master Program (SMP) comprehensive update. Per RCW 90.58.090, the effective date of the city's SMP is Sept. 24, 2019, 14 days after we provided notice to the city that their SMP was approved.
The comprehensive update revises the existing SMP, including the goals, policies, regulations, shoreline environment designations, and administrative procedures and definitions. This approval puts the final stamp on a significant effort that increases protection and restoration of habitat and water quality, provides more certainty for development, and improves public access and recreation opportunities.
Documents related to approval
- Director of Ecology's Sept. 10, 2019, Final Approval Letter
- Locally adopted Shoreline Master Program
- Background documents
- City of Blaine Ordinance 09-2729: Chapter 17.82 Critical Areas Management, Revised, July 27, 2009
- City of Blaine Ordinance 12-2812: Chapter 17.86 Flood Hazard Regulations, Revised, April 23, 2012
- Blaine Wharf District Master Plan, 2007
- The Resort at Semiahmoo Master Development Plan, Revised 2014
- Restoration Plan, December 2014
- Cumulative Impacts Analysis, March 2015
- Shoreline Inventory and Analysis Report, Revised, December 2014
Paper copies of the above documents are available by contacting Chad Yunge, Ecology.
- Per RCW 90.58.190(2) and RCW 36.70A.290, an interested party may file an appeal with the Growth Management Hearings Board within 60 days of the publication date of our written notice of final action.
- We plan to publish the notice of final action in the Bellingham Herald legal ads on Sept. 24, 2019.