Public comment requested: July 26 – Aug. 26, 2021, at 5 p.m.
We are seeking public comment on Sedro-Woolley’s proposed amendment to its Shoreline Master Program (SMP).
Sedro-Woolley’s comprehensive update to their SMP went into effect in 2016. The proposed amendment is needed to comply with the statutory deadline for a periodic review of the Sedro-Woolley SMP pursuant to RCW 90.58.080(4). Sedro-Woolley has reviewed their SMP and has proposed amendments that will bring the SMP in compliance with requirements of the Shoreline Management Act and state rules, ensures consistency with Sedro-Woolley’s Comprehensive Plan and development regulations, and reflects changes in circumstances, new information, and improved data.
The key changes the city is proposing:
- New and revised definitions
- New cost threshold for building freshwater docks
- Clarification on permit filing procedures
- Added wetland buffer tables and clarification consistent with our implementation guidance for the 2014 wetlands rating system
- Revisions to Appendix C - Shoreline Critical Area Regulations
Sedro-Woolley has opted to use the standard review process for SMP amendments, pursuant to WAC 173-26-100. Sedro-Woolley locally adopted this amendment on June 2, 2021, and submitted it to us on March 12, 2021. We determined their submittal to be complete on March 17, 2021. Following the comment period, we will compare Sedro-Woolley’s proposed amendment to the requirements of the Shoreline Management Act and the Shoreline Master Program Guidelines. Based on the comparison, we will decide whether to:
- Approve the program as is.
- Approve with recommended changes.
- Send the proposed program back to the city with required changes to meet statutory and rule requirements. Recommended changes may also be included with the required changes.
Public comment period
Opens: July 26, 2021
Closes: August 26, 2021, at 5 p.m.
All interested parties are invited to provide comment during this public comment period. There are several ways to provide comments. You only need to submit your comments once.
Submit written comments and questions to:
Washington Department of Ecology
Eastern Regional Office
4601 North Monroe Street
Spokane, WA 99205
Comments must be received no later than Aug. 26, 2021, at 5 p.m.
Documents for public review and comment
Next Steps: response to public comment and decision
A summary of comments will be posted here a few weeks after the comment period closes. We will also post Sedro-Woolley's response to comments and a notice of our decision when they become available. Please check back.