Public comment requested - July 26 – Aug. 26, 2021, at 5 p.m.
We are seeking public comment on Spokane Valley's Proposed amendment to its Shoreline Master Program (SMP).
Spokane Valley’s comprehensive update to their SMP went into effect in 2016. The proposed amendment is needed to comply with the statutory deadline for a periodic review of the Spokane Valley SMP pursuant to RCW 90.58.080(4). Spokane Valley has reviewed their SMP and has proposed amendments that will bring the SMP in compliance with requirements of the Shoreline Management Act and state rules, ensures consistency with Spokane Valley’s Comprehensive Plan and development regulations, and reflects changes in circumstances, new information, and improved data.
The key changes the city is proposing:
- New and revised definitions.
- New cost threshold for building freshwater docks.
- Clarification on permit filing procedures.
- Added wetland buffer tables and clarification consistent with our implementation guidance for the 2014 wetlands rating system.
- Revisions to Article III - Shoreline Critical Area Regulations
Spokane Valley has opted to use the standard review process for SMP amendments, pursuant to WAC 173-26-100. Spokane Valley locally adopted this amendment on June 8, 2021 and submitted it to us on June 10, 2021. We determined their submittal to be complete on June 18, 2021.
Following the public comment period, we will compare Spokane Valley's proposed program to the requirements of the Shoreline Management Act and the Shoreline Master Program Guidelines. Based on the comparison we will decide whether to:
- Approve the program as is.
- Approve with recommended changes.
- Send the proposed program back to the city with required changes to meet statutory and rule requirements. Recommended changes may also be included with the required changes.
Public comment period
Opens: July 26, 2021
Closes: Aug. 26, 2021, at 5 p.m.
All interested parties are invited to provide comment during this public comment period. There are several ways to provide comments. You only need to submit your comments once.
Submit written comment and questions to:
Washington Department of Ecology
Eastern Regional Office
4601 North Monroe Street
Spokane, WA 99205
Comments must be received no later than Aug. 26, 2021, at 5 p.m.
Documents for public review and comment
Next steps: response to public comment and decision
A summary of comments will be posted here a few weeks after the comment period closes. We will also post Spokane Valley’s response to comments and a notice of our decision when they become available. Please check back.