The proposed amendment to the Shoreline Master Program (SMP) will:
We are seeking input on the city of Olympia's proposed amendment to it's Shoreline Master Program. Public comment period opens March 7, 2018, and runs through March 22, 2018, at 5 pm.
Ordinances 7030, 7090, and 7108 revise elements of the city's critical area regulations in Olympia Municipal Code 18.32 and include related changes in Olympia Municipal Code 18.02 and 18.37.
- Update the Critical Area Ordinance (CAO) reference in the SMP to include recent CAO revisions (Resolution M-1921).
- Make minor corrections including deleting provisions no longer necessary due to the updated CAO (Ordinance 7090, sections 3 and 4).
- Correct the official shoreline map to include the unused railway berm in BUDD-3B erroneously deleted in the comprehensive SMP update (Ordinance 7090, section 11).
The proposed amendment will be compared to the requirements of the Shoreline Management Act and the Shoreline Master Program Guidelines. Based on the comparison, we will decide whether to:
- Approve the amendment as is.
- Approve the amendment with recommended changes.
- Send the proposed program back to Olympia with required changes to meet statutory and rule requirements. Recommended changes may also be included with the required changes.
Public comment period
Opens: March 7, 2018
Closes: March 22, 2018, at 5 p.m.
All interested parties are invited to provide comment during this public comment period. There are several ways to provide comment. You only need to submit your comments once.
Submit written comments and questions to:
We prefer comments be submitted through the online comment form provided below.
Online: via the e-comment form
Kim Van Zwalenburg
Washington State Department of Ecology
Southwest Regional Office
PO Box 47775
Olympia, Washington 98504-7775
Comments must be received no later than March 22, 2018 at 5 p.m.
Documents for public review and comment
Note: all documents are PDF
- Locally adopted SMP amendments:
- Critical Area regulations:
- Background documents
Paper copies are available for review at the following locations:
Washington Department of Ecology
Southwest Regional Office
300 Desmond Drive
Lacey, Washington 98503
Staff contact: Kim Van Zwalenburg
City of Olympia
Community Planning and Development
601 Fourth Avenue East, Second floor reception desk
Olympia, Washington 98507-1967
Next steps: Response to public comment and decision
A summary of comments will be posted here a few weeks after the comment period closes. We will also post the city of Olympia response to comments and a notice of our decision when they become available. Please check back.