Comprehensive update and periodic review
On May 21, 2018, we approved the city of Snohomish's Shoreline Master Program (SMP) comprehensive update. Under state law, the Snohomish SMP takes effect June 4, 2018, 14 days after we provided notice to the city that their shoreline program was approved.
This comprehensive SMP update will replace the city's existing SMP in its entirety. The updated SMP will regulate development along the city's shoreline which encompasses land within 200 feet of the ordinary high water mark of the Snohomish River, Pilchuck River, Blackman Lake, and all associated wetlands. The city’s updated SMP contains locally-tailored shoreline management policies, regulations, environment designations, and administrative provisions as well as critical areas regulations to manage shoreline development throughout Snohomish's shoreline jurisdiction. This approval puts the final stamp on a significant effort that increases protection and restoration of habitat and water quality, provides more certainty for development, and improves public access and recreational opportunities.
Mail and email were used to notify interested parties of the public comment period that was held from February 16 – March 19, 2018. No comments were received.
On April 27, 2018, we provided the city with required changes to the proposed amendment to its Shoreline Master Program. The changes are based on our review of whether or not the proposed update complies with state laws and rules. On May 16, 2018, the city notified us of the adoption of revised Ordinance 2336, adopting the SMP revisions that were requested in our conditional approval letter.
The update satisfies the city’s obligation to comply with the statutory deadline for a comprehensive update and periodic review of the city’s SMP under RCW 90.58.080 and 90.58.100. This update is also needed to comply with state planning and procedural requirements under the state SMP Guidelines under WAC 173-26 and 173-27.
Documents for pubic review and comment
Note: All documents are PDF
- Ecology's Final Approval Letter, May 21, 2018
- City of Snohomish Letter Accepting Changes, May 16, 2018
- City of Snohomish Revised Ordinance 2336, May 15, 2018
- City of Snohomish Municipal Code Chapter 14.250 Shoreline Management
- Director of Ecology's April 27, 2018 Letter
- Locally adopted SMP
- City of Snohomish Cover Letter, dated November 28, 2017
- Ordinance 2336, dated November 7, 2017
- Shoreline Master Program, Locally Adopted, dated November 2017
- SMP Environmental Designation Map
- SMP Comprehensive Update Submittal Checklist, updated November 16, 2017
- SMP Periodic Review Submittal Checklist, dated November 27, 2017
- Background documents
Paper copies of the above documents are available by contacting Misty Blair.
- Per RCW 90.58.190(2) and RCW 36.70A.290, an interested party may file an appeal with the Growth Management Hearings Board within 60 days of the publication date of our written notice of final action.
- We plan to publish the notice of final action in the Everett Herald legal ad the week of June 4, 2018.