On July 16, 2018, we approved the Walla Walla Coalition’s Shoreline Master Program's (SMP) comprehensive update. Members of the Coalition include Walla Walla County, the cities of Walla Walla, Prescott, and Waitsburg. Under RCW 90.58.090, the effective date of the Coalition shoreline programs is July 30, 2018, 14 days after we provided notice to the Coalition that their shoreline program was approved.
The comprehensive update revises the existing shoreline program for each jurisdiction, including the goals, policies, regulations, shoreline environment designations, and administrative procedures and definitions. This approval finalizes a significant, extremely collaborative effort by the participating jurisdictions. This effort increases protection and encourages restoration of habitat and water quality, provides more certainty for development, and improves public access and recreational opportunities.
Review and public comment period
On May 8, 2018, we provided the Coalition members with recommended changes to their proposed comprehensive update. The changes were based primarily on edits generated by Coalition staff in response to comments received, our review of whether or not the proposed update complies with state laws and rules, and a public comment period that was held from August 29 to September 27, 2016.
We used mail and email to notify interested parties of the public comment period. On September 30, 2016, we sent comments received from three individuals to the jurisdictions for response. On November 15, 2016, the Coalition submitted its responses to issues raised during the state comment period. Our responses are available as part of the SMP amendment process record. The public comments and the Coalition's responses have been incorporated into Attachment A Findings and Conclusions and detailed in the Comment Response Matrix (below).
We would like to extend special thanks to the late Bill Stalzer of Stalzer and Associates for his diligent, good-natured, solution-oriented management of the project on behalf of the Coalition.
Documents related to approval
Note: All documents are PDF
Paper copies of the above documents are available by contacting Jeremy Sikes (contact information listed below).
- Ecology's July 16, 2018 Final Approval Letter to Walla Walla County
- Ecology's July 16, 2018 Final Approval Letter to the City of Walla Walla
- Ecology's July 16, 2018 Final Approval Letter to the City of Prescott
- Ecology's July 16, 2018 Final Approval Letter to the City of Waitsburg
- Walla Walla County's May 31, 2018 Letter Accepting Changes
- City of Walla Walla's June 5, 2018 Letter Accepting Changes
- City of Prescott's June 11, 2018 Letter Accepting Changes
- City of Waitsburg's June 25, 2018 Letter Accepting Changes
- Director of Ecology's May 8, 2018 Letter to Walla Walla County
- Director of Ecology's May 8, 2018 Letter to the City of Walla Walla
- Director of Ecology's May 8, 2018 Letter to the City of Prescott
- Director of Ecology's May 8, 2018 Letter to the City of Waitsburg
- Walla Walla County Locally Adopted SMP, June 14, 2016
- City of Prescott Locally Adopted SMP, May 2016
- City of Waitsburg Locally Adopted SMP, May 2016
- City of Walla Walla Locally Adopted SMP, May 25, 2016
- Background documents
- Under RCW 90.58.190(2) and RCW 36.70A.290, an interested party may file an appeal with the Growth Management Hearings Board within 60 days of the publication date of our written notice of final action.
- We plan to publish the notice of final action in the Waitsburg Times, and the Walla Walla Union Bulletin legal ads on July 26, 2018.