WCC alumni resources
Thank you for your service with Washington Conservation Corps! You are joining a community of over one million AmeriCorps alumni who have dedicated their time to service and made a lasting impact in their community. As an alumnus, you are eligible for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award, as well as other networking and career resources offered through WCC and AmeriCorps.
Using your education award
WCC alumni are eligible to receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award after successfully completing an AmeriCorps term of service. The award is available in your MyAmeriCorps portal after your service term ends.
Your Education Award can pay for education expenses at eligible schools or to repay qualified student loans. Eligible schools are institutions of higher education that participate in the Department of Education’s Title IV student aid program. If you’re not sure if your school is eligible, you can check the Federal School Code List.
The Education Award can be used for degree-seeking experiences as well as enrichment classes or to take a single course at a community college, technical school, or university — as long as it’s Title IV. The Education Award can also be used to study abroad so long as the study abroad program or student exchange program is administered through a Title IV higher education institute.
Loan forbearance and interest accrual payment
If you put student loans in forbearance during your service term, and successfully completed your term, AmeriCorps will pay the interest that accrued during the service term. If you received a pro-rated Education Award, AmeriCorps will pay a portion of the interest that accrues. After your service term ends, you can submit a request for interest accrual payment through the MyAmeriCorps portal. AmeriCorps will only pay accrued interest on qualified student loans.
WCC and AmeriCorps provide resources for networking and leveraging your service experience in your career search.
- WCC Alumni Facebook group: Join WCC’s closed Facebook group to see alumni-specific information including job announcements and networking opportunities.
- Life After AmeriCorps Guide: Find tips on how to launch your post-service career including searching for jobs and writing your resume.
- Service Year Alliance: Register as an AmeriCorps alum and gain access to special benefits, resources, and opportunities, while also connecting with AmeriCorps alums from around the country through community teams.
- AmeriCorps Alums Resume Guide: Find tips on how to format and write a resume to highlight your AmeriCorps service experience.
- Transition After Your Service Year Guide: This guide covers the basics of networking, interviewing, and starting your next job.
Search for job openings in the conservation field on any of these local and national job boards.