Dam operation & maintenance guidance
We provide documents and forms to assist dam owners with their responsibilities and to assist with dam operations and maintenance.
Owner responsibilities & dam operations
Dam safety guidelines:
- Part I - General information and ownership responsibilities — This document contains general information about statutory authority, dam safety activities, and dam owner responsibilities for completed projects.
- Part III - An owner's guidance manual — This document is a reference manual for dam owners to use in developing plans for operation, monitoring, annual inspection, and long-term maintenance of their facilities. Emphasis is given to the importance of including procedures for inspection, monitoring, and maintenance as part of the normal operation of a project.
- Developing dam operation and maintenance manuals
- Developing emergency action plans
Technical guidance for dam owners:
- Reservoir Staff Gauge Guidance
- Impacts of animals on earthen dams
- Impacts on plants on earthen dams
- Burrowing animal guidance from the Department of Fish and Wildlife
Selecting a dam safety engineering consultant
Advice for selecting a dam safety engineering consultant:
- General advice about selecting an engineering consultant for your dam — tips for how to find and interview prospective engineering consultants
- General advice from the Association of State Dam Safety Officials — how to select a consultant for your dam