Ecology is proposing a new rule, Chapter 173-446 WAC, Climate Commitment Act Program. The purpose of this rulemaking is to implement parts of the Climate Commitment Act. In May 2021, the governor signed the Climate Commitment Act which established a cap-and-invest program to help achieve Washington's greenhouse gas limits by 2050.
This rulemaking will establish a structure for the cap-and-invest program that may include, but is not limited to:
- Program registration requirements
- Methods and procedures for allocating allowances
- Allowance budgets for the first compliance period (2023–2026)
- Auction registration requirements
- Auction floor price
- Emissions containment reserve
- Procedures and protocols for establishing offset projects
- Enforcement provisions
- Transfer and sale of allowances and recognition of compliance instruments
- Other elements to support the operation and function of the cap-and-invest program
Announcement phase (CR-101)
Aug. 4, 2021
Rule development phase
August 4, 2021 – Spring 2022
Public input & involvement
Public comment period (informal) – EXTENDED
November 8, 2021 – January 26, 2022 (originally January 18, 2022)
Comment online and read others' comments.
Ecology's meeting with stakeholders
1 Webinar information:
Register for each webinar to get your meeting ID, password, and call-in phone number.
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at email@example.com, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.