Find your street drain and keep it pollution free
Your drain should be easy to spot next to the curb on the street running by or near your business. Or just watch where the water goes next time it rains or the snow melts.
Manage your hazardous products and wastes to keep them out of the storm drain:
Downloand and print our poster
- Cover: Store hazardous products and wastes in sturdy, leak-proof containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Label: Label clearly what is in every container. Do not mix different chemicals in the same container.
- Contain: If containers are kept outside, place them under cover and keep them off the ground (example: set on a pallet).
- Repair: As you do your daily cleanup, look for drips and leaks; immediately repair faulty connectors, hoses, valves, etc.
- Clean: Dry sweep your parking lot and outside storage areas weekly.
- Prepare: Have and use a spill kit. What is in your spill kit usually depends on what kind of chemicals you have and the nature and size of your operation. Typically, spill kit items help contain and soak up spills quickly. Many spill kit supplies can be purchased from general stores. Others can be purchased from industrial supply vendors.
Sample list of spill-kit supplies:
- Sorbent booms
- Kitty litter
- Sorbent pads
- Plastic sheeting (for drain cover)
- Garbage bags and zip ties
- Acid/base neutralizer
- Safety gloves and goggles