Our purpose is to evaluate permittee compliance with permit requirements and assess the clarity and effectiveness of our permit language and requirements.
In 2015, we piloted a Phase II Permit “audit program.” We conducted several audits in each region and have used those experiences to update our approach to compliance assurance in 2020 permit cycle.
What is the compliance assurance program?
Since we started the program in 2015, we have updated and further documented our compliance strategy. The compliance strategy aims to prioritize reviews of Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) elements and focuses on counties and cities. The SWMP components to be evaluated will be selected based on permit requirements and deadlines to complete major new requirements.
This helps us:
- Improve our knowledge of local operations, priorities, constraints, and challenges.
- Clarify permit requirements and implementation expectations for permittees.
- Assess compliance with the permit.
- Determine if improvements are needed to more effectively implement permit requirements.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of the permits to inform the next reissuance of the permit.
- Document positive elements of programs that may benefit other permittees.