Ecology is starting a rulemaking to amend Chapter 173-185 WAC, Oil Movement by Rail and Pipeline Notification. This chapter establishes reporting standards for facilities that receive crude oil by rail and pipelines that transport crude oil through the state. The rule also describes reporting standards for Ecology to share information with tribes, emergency responders, local governments, and the public.
The rulemaking will implement Engrossed Substitute House Bill (ESHB) 1578 and Engrossed Substitute Senate Bill (ESSB) 5579, both passed in 2019 and codified in RCW 90.56.565 and 90.56.580.
This rulemaking will:
- Expand advance notice reporting requirements for facilities that receive crude oil by rail to include type and vapor pressure of crude oil
- Expand biennial notice requirements for pipelines that transport crude oil through the state to include gravity and type of crude oil
- Describe how required information will be provided to the Utilities and Transportation Commission (UTC)
- Incorporate statutory limits on the vapor pressure of crude oil that can be loaded or unloaded into or from a rail tank car by facilities that receive crude oil by rail, and establish other requirements necessary to implement and enforce these limits
- Make other changes to clarify language and make any corrections needed
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.