The Washington Department of Ecology (Ecology) plans to develop a new chapter—Chapter 173-337 WAC – Safer Products Restrictions and Reporting, aiming to reduce toxic chemicals in consumer products.
Ecology plans to conduct this rulemaking to:
- Reduce the use of priority chemicals in priority consumer products.
- Develop Chapter 173-337 WAC in accordance with the regulatory actions outlined in the final report to the Legislature—
Ecology will submit by June 1, 2022.
Ecology could restrict the manufacture or sale of a chemical in a product, or require manufacturers to report a chemical in a product. Ecology could also adopt a rule that includes:
- Allowances for:
- Pre-and post-consumer recycled content.
- Products currently in the chain of commerce—available for purchase or stockpiled.
- Chemical concentration limits.
- Compliance schedules.
- Use of safer chemicals or reformulations.
- Other requirements or restrictions allowed by law.
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.