For operators: Biosolids fees, forms, & annual reports

We offer the following information so that wastewater treatment operators and biosolids managers can find information they need to comply with Washington’s biosolids program.

Permit Fees

2022 fee schedule

New facilities

  • Permit application review fee: $3,034.35

All facilities

  • First "residential equivalent": $1,011.45
  • Cost per additional residential equivalent up to 100,000: $0.36
  • Cost per additional residential equivalent when 100,000 or more: $0.27

All facilities subject to Washington’s biosolids program must pay an annual fee. Any facility that exports biosolids into Washington from outside state jurisdiction is assessed the same fee that would be assessed if it was located in the state.

We send invoices once or twice per year. Payment is due within 45 days of receipt. Failure to pay the fee is cause for revocation of permit coverage.

How is my fee determined?

Fees are based on a "residential equivalent" (RE) value. For facilities with an NPDES or State Waste Discharge permit, we use the RE value determined by our Water Quality program.

New RE values are determined annually, based on data from our Water Quality program, or as reported by facilities. The fee schedule also incorporates the annual fiscal growth factor (FGF) determined by the Washington State Expenditure Limit Committee

Although the FGF represents an annual increment to the fee, in practice we have often not pursued that increase. Increases based on the FGF are also subject to approval by the state's Office of Financial Management. Any requested increase above the FGF must be approved by the State Legislature.

Some facilities such as independent composters and certain facilities that receive and treat septage or a combination of septage and biosolids, do not have permits issued by our Water Quality Program. In those cases, we calculate an RE value based on the fractional contributions of biosolids from various sources, and/or convert gallons of septage to residential equivalents.

Receiving only facilities

"Receiving only" facilities accept biosolids for further treatment or for application to the land, but they are not primary generators of biosolids. Examples include beneficial use facilities that only apply biosolids to land under a permit issued to them directly, as well as compost facilities not associated with a wastewater treatment plant. 

If you are a "receiving only" facility, your fee is based on the percentage of the RE value of each source from which you receive biosolids.

Septage management facilities

Septage management facilities are those that treat and/or apply only septage to the land. The RE value for septage management facilities is based on the gallons of septage received. One RE is assessed for every 1,250 gallons.

Forms and templates

Draft active biosolids management permit application Form
Draft active septage management permit application Form
Draft baseline permit application* Form
SEPA checklist


Delegation of signature authority (permit appendices) Template

* Required from new facilities operating only under the baseline section of the permit, and for existing baseline facilities for significant modifications that will remain operating under the baseline section of the permit.

Annual reports

Annual reports from biosolids facilities serve three purposes: 

  • They are an information and compliance tool for our inspectors
  • We compile data from these reports to create a picture of the statewide program
  • They may be of interest to third parties, who can receive information through the public disclosure process

Submit your annual report online

Submit your annual report through Secure Access Washington (SAW).

Permit holders must submit their report electronically. Hard copy reports are not accepted. You must request approval to access your report for the first time. Thereafter you can log in directly through SAW.

Please follow instructions for accessing and submitting your report.

It’s very important to submit your annual report completely, correctly, and on time. The quality of your annual report is a direct reflection on you and your facility. Make it good!

Who can fill out your facility’s annual report?

Your facility’s responsible official is accountable for all information in the report, including for enforcement actions in the case of reports that are late, wrong, or missing information. Anyone authorized to access the report — an operator, technician, or office manager — can fill it out on behalf of the facility. However, only the responsible official, or a person properly delegated (in writing) by the responsible official, can submit the report (find the template above in the forms section of this page).

We will notify permit holders through our Biosolids email list when the report system is ready, in late December or early January.

Only facility personnel have direct access to the annual report system. Access is granted by email request, and requires a Secure Access Washington (SAW) account. Authorizations do not require renewal from year to year. We will include instructions on accessing the report, how to complete the report, common problems, and frequently asked questions when notice of availability is sent out from the ListServ.


Annual reports for the previous calendar year are due to Ecology by March 1.
If you owe a report to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, it is due by February 19. The EPA uses a separate online system to collect report information. If you have questions about your federal annual report, you can learn more at EPA Enforcement and Compliance History Online (ECHO)