Find forms and information for registering as a transporter of recyclable materials.
Who is required to register as a transporter of recyclable materials?
Under RCW 70.95.400, anyone who is paid to transport recyclable material from commercial or industrial sources over public highways in Washington is required to register with Ecology as a transporter.
Transporters do not include:
- Carriers of recyclable materials that they own or are buying or selling, and carrying in their own vehicle, as long as this activity is only incidental to their primary business.
- Entities or persons hauling their own recyclables, or recyclables they purchased, in their own vehicles.
- Nonprofit or charitable organizations collecting and transporting recyclable materials from a buyback center, a drop box, or a commercial or industrial source of recyclable materials.
- City municipal solid waste departments or city solid waste contractors.
- Common carriers under chapter 81.80 RCW whose primary business is not the transportation of recyclable materials.
Are there fees for transporters to register with Ecology and for recycling facilities to notify Ecology of their operation?
- No. There are no fees for the registration program or the notification program.
What can cause a transporter to receive a penalty?
- Failure to register by a transporter of recyclables.
- Failure of a transporter to deliver recyclables to a recycling facility or MRF.
- Failure of a transporter to keep records of transport.
- Failure of a recycling facility or MRF to notify Ecology of their intention to operate 30 days before operation.
Laws and rules
Transporters of recyclable materials are subject to the following laws and rules: