Event detail icon
Comment period

Tacoma Central Wastewater Treatment Plant Draft Permit

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Wastewater Discharge Permit

May 10, 2024 - June 27, 2024, 11:59 p.m.

We invite your comments on the draft NPDES permit for the Tacoma Central Wastewater Treatment Plant- WA0037087. This treatment plant is operated by the city of Tacoma's Environmental Services Department.

You may read the draft permit and draft fact sheet  or view other Permit Documents on our permitting database (PARIS). 

Comments are due by midnight on June 27, 2024.


Ecology is reissuing the Central Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) NPDES permit for the first time since 2010. The Central WWTP, located in the port of Tacoma on Commencement Bay, treats sewage from homes and businesses, as well as industrial wastewater generated within the political jurisdictions of Tacoma, Fife, Fircrest, Milton, Pierce County and King County.  

The draft permit establishes conditions the Central WWTP must meet to legally discharge treated wastewater to Puget Sound. Collectively, the updated requirements in the draft permit establish the minimum standards city of Tacoma must meet to protect water quality.   

 The draft permit includes requirements related to the following topics: 

  • limits on the amount of pollutants the city of Tacoma may discharge 

  • monitoring and reporting of wastewater discharges 

  • operations and maintenance of wastewater treatment and collection facilities 

  • responding to permit violations 

  • controlling industrial wastewater before it enters the sewage system  

The fact sheet explains the legal basis for our decisions about the requirements in the draft permit. This includes describing the standards we apply and how we calculate numerical limits on pollutants. 

Comment online icon

Comment online

Comment by mail icon

Comment by mail

Alisha Mckittrick
Southwest Region Office
PO Box 47775
Olympia, WA 98504-7775
Questions icon


Dainis Kleinbergs
Permit Writer
Translated content

To request ADA accommodation, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at ecyadacoordinator@ecy.wa.gov, or call 360-407-6831, 711 (relay service), or 877-833-6341 (TTY). More about our accessibility services.