Chapters 173-491, 173-400, 173-455 WAC – Emission Standards and Controls for Sources Emitting Gasoline Vapors
Ecology is withdrawing its notice of rulemaking (Preproposal Statement of
Inquiry CR-101 form), filed July 2, 2013.
Ecology proposed to amend Chapter 173-491 WAC – Emissions Standards and Controls for
Sources Emitting Gasoline Vapors. This rule establishes standards for the control of air
contaminants emitted from gasoline marketing sources. The rule applies to gasoline marketing
operations, which include the storage, transport, and transfer of gasoline.
We began this rulemaking eight years ago to update the statewide Stage I requirements for gas
stations. We paused rule development to work on higher priority rulemakings. After reviewing
the CR-101 form, we have determined that we would need to expand the scope of this
rulemaking if we were to proceed in the future, so we are withdrawing this notice.
This rulemaking proposes to change three rules:
- Emission Standards and Controls for Sources Emitting Gasoline Vapors - Chapter 173-491 WAC – establishes air quality requirements to control emissions from sources of gasoline from gasoline dispensing facilities, gasoline loading terminals, bulk gasoline plants, and gasoline storage tanks.
- General Regulations for Air Pollution Sources - Chapter 173-400 WAC – establishes the regulatory framework to ensure that healthy air quality exists in Washington, including meeting federal air quality standards.
- Air Quality Fee Rule - Chapter 173-455 WAC – establishes air quality-related fees for businesses regulated by Ecology.
The changes will:
- Update outdated requirements and make other administrative changes for sources emitting gasoline vapors to align with federal rules.
- Not include Stage II requirements for large volume gas stations.
- Revise Chapters 173-400 and 173-455 WAC to align with changes to Chapter 173-491 WAC.
- Adopt by reference new federal rules and revisions to existing federal rules in Chapter 173-400 WAC.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
July 2, 2013
Rule development phaseThis rulemaking was withdrawn Aug. 19, 2021
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at email@example.com, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711. People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.