The Washington Department of Ecology is proposing updates to its underground storage tank rule in order to streamline the requirements and align the rule with current state and federal laws.
Washington’s underground storage tank compliance program is one of the largest pollution prevention programs at Ecology. Every year, just over 3 billion gallons of fuel are stored underground in our state. If those tanks aren’t properly maintained, these substances can pollute drinking water and pose serious threats to human health and the environment. Currently, Ecology regulates more than 9,000 tanks at more than 3,300 facilities, including gas stations, industrial and commercial properties, and government-owned properties.
The purpose of the proposed rule is to:
- Incorporate federal rule changes needed to maintain federal approval of the program.
- Integrate changes made in the state statute that authorizes the program.
- Update other requirements governing the program (such as service provider requirements).
- Streamline rule requirements, improve rule clarity, and improve consistency within the rule and with other state and federal laws and rules.
Ecology is accepting public comment on the proposed changes through March 16. To learn more about the proposed changes to the underground storage tank rule and submit formal comments online or in person at an upcoming public hearing, see the information below.
Ecology will hold two public hearings on this rule proposal. The hearings will begin with a short presentation and questions and answer session, followed by the opportunity to provide testimony.
The first public hearing will be held at 1 p.m., Feb. 28. It can be attended in person or via webinar.
- In person: Hampton Inn and Suites, 4301 Martin Way E, Olympia
- Audio only: 1-240-454-0887, enter access code 803 394 380
The second public hearing will be held at 1 p.m., March 2. It is a video conference that can be attended in person at the following locations:
- Ecology Eastern Regional Office, 4601 N Monroe St, Spokane
- Ecology Northwest Regional Office, 3190 160th Ave SE, Bellevue
- Ecology Central Regional Office, 1250 W Alder St, Union Gap
Submit comments by March 16
- Ecology’s website
- Washington Department of Ecology, 300 Desmond Drive SE, Lacey (contact Carol Dorn at Carol.Dorn@ecy.wa.gov or 360-407-7224 to make an appointment)
- Submit online
- Provide testimony at a public hearing
- Mail to Kristopher Grinnell, Department of Ecology, P.O. Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600