Chapter 173-185 WAC
On February 2, 2021, Ecology adopted amendments to Chapter 173-185 WAC, Oil Movement by Rail and Pipeline Notification. This chapter establishes reporting standards for facilities that receive crude oil by rail and pipelines that transport crude oil through the state. The rule also describes reporting standards for Ecology to share information with tribes, emergency responders, local governments, and the public.
The rulemaking implements sections of Engrossed Substitute House Bill (ESHB) 1578 and Engrossed Substitute Senate Bill (ESSB) 5579, both passed in 2019 and codified in RCW 90.56.565.
- Expands advance notice reporting requirements for facilities that receive crude oil by rail to include type and vapor pressure of crude oil
- Expands biannual notice requirements for pipelines that transport crude oil through the state to include gravity and type of crude oil
- Describes how required information will be provided to the Utilities and Transportation Commission (UTC)
- Makes other changes to clarify language and make any corrections needed
Announcement phase (CR-101)
Jan. 6, 2020
Rule development phaseJanuary 6, 2020 - September 2, 2020
Rule proposal phase (CR-102)
Sept. 2, 2020
- Proposal Notice - CR-102 form
- Proposed rule language
- Preliminary Regulatory Analyses
- SEPA Environmental Checklist and SEPA Determination of Nonsignificance
Comments were due by November 1, 2020
We held three public hearings on the rule proposal via webinar. The public hearings were held October 7, 2020, October 13, 2020, and October 20, 2020. We scheduled public hearings via webinar only due to public health concerns. These webinars meet legal requirements for rulemaking public hearings.
The hearings began with a short presentation and question and answer session, followed by the opportunity to provide testimony.
Rule adoption phase (CR-103)
Feb. 2, 2021
March 5, 2021
For additional information about rule implementation, including guidance documents, visit our Advance Notice of Oil Transfer webpage.
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at email@example.com, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711. People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.