We propose to update Chapter 173-303 WAC Dangerous Waste Regulations
. These regulations set standards for the safe management of dangerous wastes.
Chapter 173-303 WAC implements Chapter 70.105 RCW and Subtitle C of the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). Washington uses the term dangerous waste
while the federal government uses the term hazardous waste
. The term dangerous waste
includes more wastes than the federal hazardous waste definition because Washington’s rules are more protective.
We plan to amend specific sections of the dangerous waste regulations to incorporate new federal hazardous waste rules, including but not limited to:
- Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals and Amendments to the P075 Listing for Nicotine. 84 FR 5816; February 22, 2019
- Safe Management of Recalled Airbags. 83 FR 61552; November 30, 2018
- Hazardous Waste Management System: User Fees for the Electronic Hazardous Waste Manifest System and Amendments to Manifest Regulations. 83 FR 420; January 3, 2018
State-initiated amendments will also include:
- Corrections and clarifications to the Generator Improvements rule and other dangerous waste rules adopted January 28, 2019.
- Updating Biological Testing Methods for the Designation of Dangerous Waste publication 80-12.
- Other clarifications and corrections as necessary.
These amendments will improve management of pharmaceutical wastes, recalled airbags and hazardous waste shipments on electronic manifests.
Find out more on our Frequently Asked Questions page for this rulemaking.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
Aug. 2, 2019
Rule development phase
Aug. 2, 2019 - Spring 2020
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711.
People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.