Sand & Gravel General Permit

The Sand and Gravel General Permit regulates discharges of process water, stormwater, and water from mine dewatering into waters of the state associated with sand and gravel operations, rock quarries, and similar mining operations. The permit also covers concrete batch operations and hot mix asphalt operations.

Untreated water that discharges from sand and gravel operations may harm fish, aquatic life, and water quality.

The modified permit went into effect April 1, 2018, and expires March 31, 2021.

Sand & Gravel General Permit

Do I need a permit?

You may need a Sand and Gravel General Permit if your facility:

  • Discharges process water, stormwater, or mine dewatering water into waters of the state.
  • Is associated with sand and gravel operations, concrete batch plants, or asphalt batch plants.

You may need a portable operation permit if you move from site to site to:

  • Crush rock
  • Make concrete
  • Make asphalt

Apply for a Sand & Gravel General Permit

Apply through SecureAccess Washington and use the WQWebPortal to submit your e-NOI.

Portable operation forms

Change your Sand & Gravel General Permit

Implement & comply

Information about past permit reissuance events, documents, presentations, and expired permits

For assistance contact:

Central Region

For facilities located in the following counties:

Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan, and Yakima

Assistance with permit requirements or site-specific questions:

Stephanie Giesin

Assistance applying for coverage, finding or completing forms, or drafting public notices:

Cindy Huwe

Mail forms to:

Attn: WQ Sand & Gravel Permit Coordinator
Washington State Department of Ecology
Central Regional Office
1250 West Alder Street
Union Gap, WA 98903-0009

Eastern Region Northwest Region Southwest Region