We publish an online SEPA Register that includes all State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents that have been submitted to Ecology.
The SEPA Register is a statewide searchable database where anyone can search and download SEPA documents submitted to Ecology to allow easy access to the public, project proponents, local governments, and other agencies. SEPA lead agencies can enter project and non-project records and documents required under state environmental review laws.
SEPA Record Submittal (SRS) now available
We have developed the SEPA Register Submittal (SRS) online portal to allow lead agencies to enter their SEPA records and documents directly into the SEPA register instead of emailing them to Ecology. If you are not a lead agency, you will not notice any differences with the SEPA Register.
To start using the SRS portal, you will need to complete a two-step process.
- Set up a Secure Access Washington (SAW) account
- Add the SRS portal service to your SAW account
- If you have an existing SAW account, you can simply add the SRS portal service to your account. For instructions on how to add the SRS portal refer to our "How to Register" document below.
- If you have a personal SAW account, you can create a new SAW account using your employer information.
Here are a couple of resources to get you started:
You can also visit our SEPA training page for upcoming training opportunities and to view our "Navigating SEPA" 4-part video training series.
We will review all records submitted to us before they are published in the register. Lead agencies will receive an email notifying them that we received their record and a second email when the record is posted to the register. Beginning July 20, 2021, lead agencies should no longer send records to Ecology by email.
If you have questions about the new portal, please contact us at SEPAregister@ecy.wa.gov
Filing Environmental Impact Statements (EIS)
We no longer require the submittal of hardcopy EISs to our office. We recommend that you continue to provide hardcopies to the public, other agencies, and Tribes upon request — according to your SEPA procedures and public notice requirements.
Tips and reminders
- Any SEPA document with a comment period must be submitted to the Register including:
- Determinations of Nonsignificance (DNS)
- Mitigated Determinations of Nonsignificance
- Notices of Application / Optional DNS process
- Draft Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) — including Draft Supplemental
- Determination of Significance / Scoping notices
- All Determinations of Nonsignificance and Notice of Applications (NOA) using an Optional DNS process must include the Environmental Checklist — unless there is an adoption of previous SEPA or NEPA document.
- Some documents without a comment period must be submitted to the Register including:
- Determination of Nonsignificance / Notice of Decision using Optional DNS process
- Determination of Significance with Adoption Notices
- Notice of Action Taken
- Final EISs
- Some SEPA documents and all NEPA documents are not required to be submitted but can still be submitted to the register. These include but are not limited to:
- Determinations of Nonsignificance (DNS) without a comment period
- Note: Please include all checklists
- Interagency pre-threshold consultations — or “draft checklists”
- Please enter your SEPA record and documents to the SEPA Record Submittal (SRS) prior to or on the day of issuance so they can be reviewed by Ecology and approved as quickly as possible.
- Please load your documents directly into SRS. We are no longer accepting SEPA submissions by email. Please contact us if you have any problems loading documents or using the SRS system. Most document types are accepted.
Please contact us at the appropriate email listed below if you have any questions or need assistance.