Chapter 173-446A WAC
On June 1, 2022, Ecology adopted a new rule, Chapter 173-446A WAC, Criteria for Emissions-Intensive, Trade-Exposed Industries. The purpose of this rulemaking is to implement parts of the Climate Commitment Act. In May 2021, the governor signed the Climate Commitment Act which established a cap-and-invest program to help achieve Washington's greenhouse gas limits by 2050.
- Establishes criteria to identify emissions-intensive, trade-exposed (EITE) industries that will be eligible for no-cost allowances.
- Considers the locations of potential emissions-intensive, trade-exposed businesses in relation to overburdened communities while developing the criteria.
- Includes requirements necessary to support the above items, the overall objectives of the statute or chapter, or the goals of the Climate Commitment Act.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
Aug. 4, 2021
Rule development phaseAugust 4, 2021 – December 21, 2021
Public input & involvement
Ecology's meeting with stakeholders
September 21, 2021
10 a.m. – noon
Draft rule language
Rule proposal phase (CR-102)
Dec. 22, 2021
- Proposal notice – CR-102 form
- Proposed rule language
- Preliminary Regulatory Analyses
- SEPA Determination of Nonsignificance and Environmental Checklist
Comments were due by February 1, 2022. We accepted comments in the following ways:
Comment online. Read comments.
- Attend a public hearing online (webinar):
January 25, 2022 at 10 a.m.
- Mail to: Katie Wolt
Department of Ecology
Air Quality Program
P.O. Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Date/Time: January 25, 2022 at 10 a.m. online webinar
Location: online (webinar)
Register for the webinar to get your access code and password.
To hear the webinar better or to call in only, use your phone (instead of the computer) to call 1-855-929-3239.
Agenda: Presentation, question-and-answer session, followed by public hearing
Accessibility: To request ADA accommodation for the public hearing, email Ecology’s ADA coordinator by January 18, 2022. Or call (360) 407-6831, 711 (relay service), or 877-833-6341 (TTY).
Rule adoption phase (CR-103)
June 1, 2022
July 1, 2022
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711. People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.