Water right permits

Water is an increasingly limited resource in Washington. If you are looking for a water supply for a project or want to make a change to an existing water right, you may have options.

New water rights

Before applying for a water right, we recommend a pre-application consultation with our regional staff. We can advise you on water supply options. Visit our water rights page for more general information on this topic. This also includes a link to the form for a Reservoir Permit Application: Underground Artificial Storage and Recovery.

Changes to existing water rights

Changing or transferring an existing water right can involve changing the period of use, the place of use, the point of diversion or withdrawal, or the purpose or manner of use. Changing ownership of a water right, application, or permit, or drilling a replacement well, may not require a full water right change process.