Pierce County Shoreline Master Program: locally initiated amendment
We held a public comment period on Pierce County’s proposed locally initiated amendment to their Shoreline Master Program (SMP). The period for public comment was from Feb. 28 to March 30, 2023.
Postcards were mailed to all shoreline property owners, and email notices were used to notify those who had expressed prior interest. Written comments from 32 different individuals and/or organizations were received. Comments address arguments both for and against the proposed dock restrictions; restrictions on aquaculture; and fencing regulations.
Response to public comment
We have prepared a summary of public comments and sent this to Pierce County on April 10, 2023. The County will write a response to the public’s comments. That response to comments will be posted here when available; please check back.
Next steps: our decision
- Approve the SMP as is.
- Approve the SMP with recommended changes.
- Send the proposed SMP back to the County with required changes to meet statutory and rule requirements. Recommended changes may also be included with the required changes.
Relevant documents will be posted on this website when they become available. Please check back
Documents for public review and comment
- Locally adopted SMP amendment
- Background Documents
- Summary of amendment
- Final Council staff report
- Cumulative Impacts Analysis - April 7, 2020 ESA memo, revised Oct. 29, 2021
- Attachment A: March 18, 2020, ESA review of overwater moorage standards
- Attachment B: February 21, 2020, ESA review of restoration aquaculture
- Attachment C: December 19, 2019, ESA review of proposed fencing standards
- Attachment D: April 3, 2020, ESA review of dredge disposal standards
- Attachment E: Figures 1-4 from 2014 Cumulative Impacts Analysis
- SEPA materials
Next steps: response to public comment and decision
A summary of comments will be posted here a few weeks after the comment period closes. We will also post the County’s response to comments and a notice of our decision when these become available. Please check back.