Our bunkering rule applies to all operations that provide fuel to vessels of 300 gross tons or more that are covered by oil spill contingency plans. The rule applies to all owners, operators, people in charge, and other personnel involved in the operations. Rules for safe bunkering include but are not limited to:
- A written pre-loading plan.
- Work-hour limitations for bunkering personnel.
- A training session for crew involved in bunkering.
- Safe access between the receiving vessel and the delivering vessel or facility.
- A face-to-face pre-transfer meeting between the persons-in-charge.
- A dedicated deck-rover to look for spills.
- Specific communication procedures.
- Compliance with federal rules for oil transfers.
We provide guidance, checklists, and best practices information for complying with our rules for safe bunkering.