Upland Fin-Fish Hatching & Rearing General Permit

We issue the Upland Fin-Fish Hatching & Rearing General Permit (FFHRGP). This permit regulates wastewater leaving fish hatcheries. It went into effect April 1, 2016 and expires March 31, 2021.

Do I need a permit?

You need a permit if your facility discharges 30 days or more per year and at least one of the following:

  • Produces more than 20,000 pounds of fish yearly.
  • Feeds more than 5,000 pounds of fish food in any one month.
  • We determine your facility contributes significantly to water pollution.

Application and forms

You must submit a permit application 180 days before new discharge or before your current permit expires.

Apply & change

Apply for coverage or change your coverage through your SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account.

Implement & comply

Why do we issue this permit?

Fish hatcheries play a vital role in Washington's economy, recreational industry, and wild species conservation. But, concentrated fish can produce pollution that is released by the hatchery's wastewater.

Contaminants can include:

  • Pathogens and parasites
  • Medicine (like antibiotics)
  • Organic waste (carcasses, fecal matter)
  • Ammonia and nitrate
  • Biochemical oxygen demand
  • Disease control chemicals
  • Sand, silt, and debris
We issue this permit to reduce these pollutants in state waters.

Contact your permit administrator for assistance

Central Region

For facilities located in the following counties:

Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan, Yakima

Marcia Porter

Eastern Region Northwest Region Southwest Region