SAM's source control projects are focused on learning which actions by permittees and businesses in Western Washington are successful in preventing illicit discharges, detecting and reducing pollutants to stormwater. Source control projects can include monitoring but can also have a broader focus to provide information for adaptive management of stormwater. The Stormwater Work Group (SWG) organizes permittees and stakeholders to select the SAM study topics.
What is the process for new projects?
We want your proposals for effectiveness studies and source identification studies or projects that support the implementation of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase I and Western Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permits. Successful, SWG-approved studies will be funded during this current permit term 2019-2024. See the Effectiveness Studies page for more information.
Upcoming trainings for revised ICID Manual
As part of a SAM project to update the 2013 Illict Connection and Illicit Discharge (IC/ID) Field Screening and Source Tracing Manual, municipal government staff will have eight opportunities to attend training on updated IDDE field methods. Flyer for updated IC-ID Manual Trainings.
- Registration being rescheduled for summer: Renton, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Maintenance Shops Training Room (3555 NE 2nd St)
- Registration being rescheduled for summer: Mount Vernon, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m Police Campus Training Room (1805 Continental Place)
- Registration being rescheduled for summer: Edmonds, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m City Hall (121 5th Ave N) Brackett Room
- Registration being rescheduled for summer: Tumwater, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m Thurston County Emergency Management Center (9521 Tilley Rd SW) Training Room
- Registration being rescheduled for summer: Poulsbo, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m City Hall (200 Moe St NE) Council Chambers
- Registration being rescheduled for summer: Vancouver, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m City Hall (415 W 6th St) Aspen Room
- Register for June 23: Bellevue, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m Aaron Education Center, Bellevue Botanical Garden (12001 Main St) Aaron Room
- Register for July 1: Seattle, 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. King Street Center (201 S Jackson St) 8th Floor Conference Room
Completed SAM source identification studies
SAM source ID projects can occur at site or regional scales and the results can be used across jurisdictions.