How does my property qualify for soil replacement?
- We recommend soil replacement for yards with arsenic above 100 parts per million (ppm) or lead above 500 ppm. For properties inside the study area, we look at the parcel average for both arsenic and lead.
- Sampling results are from the EPA or Ecology’s Yard Program (Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department) sampling.
- The property must be inside the Yard Program service area (see map below).
- You choose to participate. The program is voluntary.
Properties or parts of yards may not qualify for soil replacement if:
- There are steep slopes.
- There is no access or limited access.
- There is a large retaining wall or permanent structure.
- There are lots of trees.
To learn more about the areas that don’t qualify, read our excluded areas handout. Not all properties qualify for soil replacement.
The soil replacement webpage explains how soil replacement works. You can also view this three-part video.