Current permits and actions

We are issuing a new statewide general permit for biosolids management on June 15, 2022. It goes into effect July 15, 2022. Here you can find the final permit, response to comments received on the draft permit, and other permit documents.

Current permit activities

The statewide general permit for biosolids management is how we implement the Biosolids Management rule (Chapter 173-308 WAC). The general permit contains minimum requirements that all biosolids facilities must meet, and allows us to increase environmental protections or establish more stringent biosolids management requirements for facilities on a case-by-case basis, if necessary.

The biosolids general permit is active for five years. The current permit will expire July 14, 2027.

  Statewide General Permit for Biosolids Management
Details After review and response to comments, we prepared final general permit language. We are issuing the new general permit on June 15, 2022. It will go into effect July 15, 2022.

The terms and conditions of the general permit are subject to appeal within thirty days of issuance in accordance with Chapter 43.21B RCW. Any appeal must be filed with the Pollution Control Hearings Board and served on Ecology on or before July 15, 2022.

Ecology contact

Emily Kijowski


Current permit proposals: Applications and modifications

Facility Fire Mountain Farms
Description We finalized Agreed Order 19442, allowing Fire Mountain Farms to apply biosolids at five sites in Lewis County: Big Hanaford, Burnt Ridge, Homestead, Lincoln Creek, and Newaukum Prairie.
Status Final
Comment period Closed
Public hearing Completed
Ecology contact

Shawnté Greenway
Southwest Region biosolids program coordinator


Stay informed about a specific facility

Interested parties can comment on permit applications and proposals, but the way to comment will vary between proposals. Make one of both of the following action to ensure you are notified of permit actions and opportunities to review and provide input.

You can also write directly to a facility and request to join their interested parties list and then notify the Ecology regional biosolids coordinator who manages the facility. Be sure to keep a record of your requests.

Translated content