Litter studies provide information about the types, amounts, distribution and sources of litter in the state. They can also provide valuable insights on residents' attitudes and behaviors around littering. This information helps inform and evaluate litter prevention efforts over time.
2022 Litter Composition and Generation Study
We conducted a comprehensive litter study throughout 2022. This is the first litter study in Washington in nearly 20 years. We sorted and measured litter from sampling sites along Washington roadways, on-off ramps and in public areas. Having current data on the types, amounts and sources of litter helps us develop strategies to prevent litter and measure progress over time.
Past litter studies
- 2004 Litter Study — Litter Generation and Composition report
- 1999 Litter Study — Final Report Vol. 1 (Overview and Summary)
- 1999 Litter Study — Final Report Vol. 2 (Litter Generation and Composition)
- 1999 Litter Study — Final Report Vol. 3 (Focus Groups)
- 1999 Litter Study — Final Report Vol. 4 (Telephone Survey)