Public comment request Oct. 7 – Nov. 5, 2021.
We are seeking public comment on the city of East Wenatchee’s proposed amendment to its shoreline master program (SMP).
East Wenatchee's comprehensive update to their SMP went into effect in 2010. The proposed amendment is needed to comply with the statutory deadline for a periodic review of the city's SMP pursuant to RCW 90.58.080(4). East Wenatchee has reviewed their SMP and has proposed amendments to bring the SMP in compliance with requirements of the Shoreline Management Act and state rules, and reflects changes in circumstances, new information, and improved data.
Outside of required SMP checklist changes, the city proposes to make changes to provisions regarding:
- Revisions to ensure consistency with state law and rules amended since city adoption in 2009.
- Revisions to facilitate better consistency between the SMP and the East Wenatchee Municipal Code for Zoning (i.e., side yard setbacks, density requirements, etc.).
- Revisions to administrative provisions.
- Other limited amendments including corrections of typographical errors, and edits to improve clarity.
- Provisions to address wildfire protections.
- Provisions to address handicap access.
- Revisions to include provisions previously adopted by Douglas County into their SMP to improve consistency between the two documents.
- New and revised definitions.
- Revisions to Appendix H (critical areas), which include definitions, re-formatting, updates to buffer reduction methods, variance standards, addition of specific standards for docks and road construction, and minor changes to conform with the existing CAO.
East Wenatchee has opted to use the standard review process for SMP amendments, pursuant to WAC 173-26-100. The city locally adopted this amendment on June 15, 2021, and submitted it to us on June 24, 2021. The submittal was supplemented on September 13, 2021. We determined their submittal to be complete on September 14, 2021. Following the comment period, we will compare East Wenatchee’s proposed amendment to the requirements of the Shoreline Management Act and the Shoreline Master Program Guidelines. Based on the comparison, we will decide whether to:
- Approve the program as is.
- Approve with recommended changes.
- Send the proposed program back to the city with required changes to meet statutory and rule requirements. Recommended changes may also be included with the required changes.
Public comment period
Opens: Oct. 7, 2021
Closes: Nov. 5, 2021
All interested parties are invited to provide comment during this public comment period. There are several ways to provide comments. You only need to submit your comments once.
Submit written comments and questions to:
Washington Department of Ecology
Central Regional Office
1250 West Alder Street
Union Gap, WA 98903
Comments must be received no later than Nov. 5, 2021
Documents for public review and comment
Next steps: response to public comment and decision
A summary of comments will be posted here a few weeks after the comment period closes. We will also post the East Wenatchee response to comments and a notice of our decision when they become available. Please check back.