The comment period for the Town of South Prairie's periodic review is now closed.
The town has locally adopted a new Shoreline Master Program (SMP) for compliance with the state-mandated eight-year review cycle as required by RCW 90.58.080(4), This periodic review is to ensure the SMP stays current with changes in local circumstances, the comprehensive plan, and local codes, as well as state law and associated state rules.
We held a state public comment period on South Prairie's periodic review to their SMP. The period for public comment was Aug. 28 - Sept. 27, 2019.
The changes to the SMP include:
- Additions to the administration section to clarify permit filing procedures and state review of shoreline permits
- Adoption of the most current wetland delineation manual and rating system as well as new buffers based on protection of habitat function
- Extension of shoreline jurisdiction to include buffers necessary to protect critical areas
- Addition to buffer descriptions in appendix A, moratorium procedures on certain development, and relief procedures for shifts in the ordinary high water mark as a result in restoration activities
- Addition of language identifying the 90-day target for local review of Washington State Department of Transportation projects and exemption language identifying ADA retrofits
- Changes to the non-conforming use and development section
- Addition of the option joint review process for SMP amendments
- Changes to the definition of development
- Addition of projects not subject to local review and approval under the Shoreline Management Act (SMA)
Response to public comment
We prepared a summary of public comments and sent it to the Town of South Prairie on Oct. 4, 2019. On Nov. 1, 2019, the town submitted to us its responses to the issues raised during the state comment period. The response to comments is posted below.
Next steps: Our decision
We will decide if South Prairie's proposed SMP amendment meets the requirement of the Shoreline Management Act and the Shoreline Master Program Guidelines. We will decide whether to:
- Approve the program as is
- Approve the program with recommended changes
- Send the proposed program back to south Prairie with required changes to meet statutory and rule requirements. Recommended changes may also be included with the required changes.
Relevant documents will be posted on this webpage when they become available. Pleae check back.
Documents related to approval
Note: All documents are PDF