Chapter 173-441 WAC – Reporting of Emissions of Greenhouse Gases
On February 9, 2022, Ecology updated Chapter 173-441 WAC, Reporting of Emissions of Greenhouse Gases, as directed by Section 33 of the Climate Commitment Act.
- Adds natural gas suppliers, carbon dioxide suppliers, and electric power entities to the existing greenhouse gas reporting program.
- Replaces the existing transportation fuel supplier program with a program that is compatible with the Climate Commitment Act.
- Updates greenhouse gas reporting requirements to support the Climate Commitment Act and facilitates program linkage with other jurisdictions.
- Adds program elements to support the verification of greenhouse gas reporting data.
- Modifies administrative provisions, such as deadlines and greenhouse gas reporting fees.
- Includes requirements necessary to support the above items, the overall objectives of the statute or chapter, or the goals of the Climate Commitment Act.
- Makes administrative changes for correction or clarification.
In May 2021, the governor signed the Climate Commitment Act which established a cap-and-invest program to help Washington meet greenhouse gas limits by 2050. About 75 percent of greenhouse gas emissions included in the new cap-and-invest program are not reported or are reported using methods that conflict with the Climate Commitment Act. Ecology will create a reporting system that complies with the Climate Commitment Act.
Announcement phase (CR-101)
July 7, 2021
Rule development phaseJuly 7, 2021 – October 5, 2021
Public input & involvement
Ecology's meeting with stakeholders
July 22, 2021
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Draft rule language
Rule proposal phase (CR-102)
Oct. 6, 2021
- Proposal notice – CR-102 form
- Proposed rule language
- Preliminary Regulatory Analyses
- SEPA Determination of Nonsignificance (DNS) and Environmental Checklist
Comments were due by November 16, 2021. We accepted comments in the following ways:
- Attend a public hearing online (webinar):
November 9, 2021 at 10 a.m.
- Mail to: Rachel Assink
Department of Ecology
Air Quality Program
P.O. Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Date/Time: November 9, 2021 at 10 a.m. online webinar
Location: online (webinar)
Register for each webinar to get your access code and password.
To hear the webinar better or to call in only, use your phone (instead of the computer) to call 1-855-929-3239.
Agenda: Presentation, question-and-answer session, followed by public hearing
Accessibility: To request ADA accommodation for the public hearing, email Ecology’s ADA coordinator by November 2, 2021. Or call (360) 407-6831, 711 (relay service), or 877-833-6341 (TTY).
Rule adoption phase (CR-103)
Feb. 9, 2022
March 12, 2022
To request ADA accommodation for disabilities, or printed materials in a format for the visually impaired, contact Ecology's ADA Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 360-407-6831. People with impaired hearing may call Washington Relay Service at 711. People with speech disability may call TTY at 877-833-6341.