Information for the public
Some of the work the Dam Safety Office (DSO) provides:
- Emergency response — we provide guidance.
- Project and planning services — we provide information on the specific activities and actions involved in project planning and in the plan review and construction permit process.
- Risk analysis and planning services — we provide risk assessment and disaster planning tools for dam owners to assist them with proper care and management of their dams.
- Design and construction services — we outline a rational engineering approach to address the majority of cases. Individual projects may pose unique problems that require specialized measures. Where engineers face such cases, it will be their responsibility to demonstrate that their approach satisfactorily addresses the pertinent engineering issues.
- Inspection services — we conduct periodic inspections every five years on significant and high hazard dams, as well as inspection at public request.
- Operation and maintenance services — we provide information to assist dam owners with their responsibilities.