How to report a dam emergency
Anyone witnessing a dam failure or imminent failure
- Call 911 and clearly state this is a dam safety emergency.
If you are a dam owner or operator
- Activate your emergency action plan.
- Contact the Washington Military Department Emergency Management Division at 800‑562‑6108 or 253‑512‑7000.
- Contact Dam Safety Office staff.
In the event that lives, property, or the environment could be at risk, our engineers are available to help implement response procedures at the dam.
Other emergency response partners:
- Washington Military Department Emergency Management Division
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — Seattle District
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — dam and levee safety
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) — for power producing dams
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation — for irrigation dams
- County and city emergency management offices — all hazards; check your local government websites for contact information