Our stormwater manuals provide stormwater permit implementation and management guidance. Contact your municipality or permit administrator to determine which manual you need and for questions regarding implementation of stormwater management guidance.
Ecology's Stormwater Management Manuals (SWMMs)
The dropdowns below provide access to past and present SWMMs.
Order a hard copy or CD
Stormwater management is evolving. As such, stormwater management guidance documents are often published in between versions of Ecology’s SWMMs. Stormwater management guidance documents released after publication of the latest SWMMs are provided in the “Additional Resources” folder within the interactive online version of the SWMMs. Direct links are provided below:
Preparing for our 2024 SWMM updates
We anticipate publishing the next version of our SWMMWW and SWMMEW in July of 2024. The anticipated timeline for the update process:
- Fall 2021: We hosted an open house regarding proposed consistency updates to the SWMMs.
- February 2022: Early input was given to Ecology by SWMM stakeholders.
- Spring 2022: We hosted listening sessions regarding early thoughts on proposed SWMM updates.
- Fall 2022: Preliminary draft sections of the SWMMs are available for informal comment.
- Nov. 7: Virtual workshop on the preliminary draft packages for both the SWMMs and MS4 Permits (more information below)
- Summer 2023: We will provide formal drafts of SWMMs for formal public comment.
- July 2024: Publish the 2024 SWMMs.
Preliminary draft sections of the SWMMs are available for informal comment
Western Washington Preliminary Draft Package:
Eastern Washington Preliminary Draft Package:
We will accept comments on the above packages until 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 2, 2022. We will use the informal comments to develop the proposed language for the Formal Draft SWMMs, anticipated for public comment in the summer of 2023.
Provide informal comment on the preliminary draft SWMM package(s)
The preferred method for providing comments is by submitting the template through the eComments platform:
- Download the Preliminary Draft Comment Template (excel file)
- Save the file locally and enter your comments into the template.
- Upload the file as a .xlsx file attachment to eComments (follow the instructions in eComments to upload an attachment).
Preliminary Draft workshops
The SWMMs preliminary draft release and comment period are in tandem with the preliminary draft release and comment period for the Municipal Stormwater General Permits (MS4 Permits). Visit the Municipal stormwater permit reissuance page for the MS4 Permit preliminary drafts available for comment.
We will hold a virtual workshop on the preliminary draft packages for both the SWMMs and MS4 Permits on Nov. 7, 2022.
Equivalent regional stormwater manuals
In some cases, municipal stormwater permittees have the option of either adopting portions of the appropriate Ecology Stormwater Manual or portions of a regional manual determined to be equivalent to the Ecology Stormwater Manual. For more information, visit the equivalent stormwater manuals for municipal stormwater permits webpage.
Other references for stormwater management and design
Ecology webpage links
Join our email list to receive updates about Ecology's Stormwater Manuals.